Friday 5 April 2013

PROJECT 2: CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT


                                                                    READING LIST                                         
The reading lists so far for this next stage of my course are the following:

                                                       Space & Place, Tuan
                                                    Metamorphoses - Kafka
                                                             Fresh & Stone
                                           Eyes of the skin, Juhani Pallasmaa
                                                   Architecture & Narrative
                                                             Tao of Physics
                                                          Tao of Psychology
                                                           Invisible Cities

I find Eyes of the Skin very interesting and very useful to my conceptual development, it is interesting to find how Architecture can be related to the human senses and Juhani did a very good job in his analysis. My proposed site for my intervening in the city is located near the Nottingham Castle and I have been trying to come up with a concept which would relate back to the history of the Castle and the Church. While taking a walk around the castle some of Julani’s analysis began to make meaning to me. For instance he said a walk through a forest is invigorating and healing due to the constant interaction of all senses, this I totally agree to because having researched on the history of the castle and comparing it to the history of the church there is a bridge which needs to connect the two together, this two are both mechanisms but one is a defensive mechanism (castle) and the other a salvation mechanism ( church). I do hope that by the time I am through researching and reading the books on my reading list I should be able to come up with a unique concept which would explain the relationship between the castle and the church and create the concept of LIGHT AND SHADOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment